How can I Rebuild my Windows Cloud Server?
Sometimes circumstances arise leading to the need for a fresh clean start on your server instance. The guide below will show you how to rebuild your Windows server. This guide can also be used if you decide you’d like to switch from one version Windows Server to another.
Important: By following this guide you’ll be completely erasing everything on your VPS. Before proceeding any further, please be certain that you have backup of any data you might need and that it’s securely stored somewhere!
- Login to your client area, then look for and click Manage VM’s:
- On the resulting page, click on the Instances tab to manage your existing server instances:
- Select the VPS you’d like to rebuild by clicking on Actions > Manage
- Click on the Actions tab, and then choose reinstall:
- From here, you will just choose the OS you wish to reinstall with.
- It will start wiping the virtual hard drive and installing the default Windows image you chose above. This shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes.
- Once it’s done, use RDP (Remote Desktop Client) to access your VPS with the following credentials:
a. User = Administrator
b. Password = Temp123
- You should immediately update the Administrator password to something secure. You can do this easily by clicking the PowerShell icon normally found in the taskbar.
- When prompted, input the new password you chose in the place of newPasswordGoesHere
1net user Administrator newPasswordGoesHere
- Now you can run the FirstRun script (from the desktop, only if using Server 2008) to fully increase your Windows partition to fit the hard disk space that’s available with your plan.
- You’ve now successfully rebuilt your Windows VPS!