Defining the cPanel File Manager
The cPanel File Manager is a method that you can use to edit, upload, copy, remove.. virtually anything you need to do for your files can be done here.
This article will give a fundamental rundown of the methods that you can use to traverse through the file manager.
Begin by clicking the “File Manager” icon within the “Files” section of your cPanel.
The layout of the file manager is much like the Home file explorer. Around the left side, you’ve got a directory tree that enables you to easily access any folder rapidly. On the right hand side, is a directory that lists all files and folders which happen to be in inside the directory you’re presently in. To maneuver sites, you may either click the folder in the directory tree, or double click the folder inside the directory listing on the right.
On the top of the directory tree, you see an area where, if known, you’re able to input the entire path to any directory you want to gain access to. You then have a group of controls that act like your internet browser, that affect your directory listing on the right. You’re able to go back, forward, up a directory, refresh your directory you’re in or visit the home directory.
Across the top of the file manager, are some symbols:
- New File
- This can produce a new, blank file.
- New Folder
- This can produce a new directory.
- This can copy any selected files/folders towards the directory of your liking.
- Move File
- This wil move any selected files/folders towards the directory of your liking.
- This is why to maneuver files out of your local computer to your server.
- This downloads any selected files towards the computer you’re working from.
- Removes any selected files/folders permanently (no trash can, just remove)
- Restores selected files
- This allows you to alter the title associated with a file/folder.
- This can be a simple text editor which you can use to edit any file.
- Code Editor
- This can be a more complex editor which includes line #s and code validation. Make use of this when manually editing html, php along with other files you’re serving.
- HTML Editor
- A fundamental wysiwyg editor. Enables for straightforward html authoring.
- Enables you to definitely affect the file permissions (chmod) associated with a file/folder.
- Enables you to see a file as you’d view it on the internet. (Great for photos)
- This can decompress a .zip, .tar, .tar.gz, etc.. file to the directory of the selecting.
- Will compress selected files/folders into one zip, gzip or bzip file.